House of Angels.

The bell rang.
I enter the class.
The solid silence
Is broken
by the chirps
Of sparrows and
The perfume of grass…


Never ending smiles
Of children,
Drizzle upon me
(I was an amateur then..
A terrified me..!)


I still remember..
The “shy” boy
From the last bench,
Arose to give me
His name.
I noted down quickly
And went on with the rest..
He was
The first in number..
Was a diligent pupil..
One among the best!


Another “little” one
Gazes at me
From the first bench,
With an infinite grin--
That brings about
A silken glee
Inside my crowded head;
And in some way
He seems endearing..
Makes me chuckle too…!!


As I see them all,
Buckled tight
To their benches,
Ready to roll..
For in me
“They believed”
And probably
Saw an aureole..!


My heart swells
In pride,
Everyday..
At the sight of this
Serene morning routine..
Which shuns, doubtlessly,
My pains of past,
Present, and future, away..!


Suddenly I wake up!
To realise
That this was just a passing dream
I could see them both--
“The shy one” and
“The little one”--
Leaving our heavens
To join the skies…


I can't stop them!
For I was out of breath..
My heart is now
Swelling in agony..
Fighting with empty fists in the air..
“No my angels,
Don't go away!” I lament.


They turn back..
Smile at me..
And sing,
(As if together)
“This is where we belong
Mumma, We're here at
The House of Angels!
Grieve not…
For we'll be right here,
As young
As kind
As brave and
As pure
As you have always taught us to be..!”


With these parting words
They joyously melt
Into a stream of glass-like clouds…
Leaving me drowned,
In streams of unending pain!

--by Rasheeda Madani




(This poem is written in memory of my late students Dinesh and Abu Bakker Siddiq. May their souls rest in peace!)

Comments

Post a Comment

Your comments and suggestions are highly valued! Please leave a comment below...

Popular posts from this blog

Frank.. Frankie... Frankenstein..!

Hacking "Sense and Creativity"!

Resurrection of a new age!!